Charley Dedman was born in Sawbridgeworth in 1887 and was working in Leicestershire where he signed up for the Leicestershire regiment. He was one of the first 50 civilian volunteers to go to France. Sadly he was killed by a German bullet in the head in 1916 and was buried near Guillemont in the Somme.… Read More »
The above picture shows London Road in 1951 with on the right a sign advertising the Cosy Cafe, also known as the Cosy Rosy. To read the full article go to our articles as PDF page and find your way to the Pubs and restaurants subsection or click on the following link COSY ROSY … Read More »
Here come the Mosquitos – 2nd Walter Lawrence article published
Douglas Coe has produced another article about pub history in our town. This time the subject is the Fox pub of old and the Millstream Beerhouse. Neither establishment is open today. As we all know there are less and less watering holes to choose from nowadays. Anyway, if you want to read this latest piece… Read More »
The first Sawbridgeworth Local History Group short booklet: Sawbridgeworth Town Mill: A Millennium of Milling and Malting by Elizabeth Waugh, edited by David Royle, focuses on a brief but comprehensive history of the Mill area, now known as Burton’s Mill after the name of its last owner. An industrial site continuously developed since the earliest period… Read More »
We have been quite busy recently writing and posting new articles. The two newest additions are: An article about the celebration of Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee in Sawbrigeorth. You can access that one by clicking on the following link 1887 victoria 50 – SBW The second article is an edited version of a piece from… Read More »
Back in the days, well back in 2016 when the Sawbridgeworth Local History started out, one of the first subjects we wanted to research and write about was pubs. It took a while before we got ourselves organised but over time we did indeed produce some material. Today we publish three new articles on the… Read More »
Douglas Coe, one of our more active members is extremely productive. For the last few months he has been working on the history of the earls of Roden who resided at and owned Hyde Hall aka the Jocelyn family. The first of these articles was published on our site in November of last year. Douglas… Read More »
We are currently gearing up to the eightieth anniversary of the outbreak of the Second World War. The Sawbridgeworth Local History Society will mark the occasion by holding an event where local witnesses will tell us how they were affected by these event. More about that later. In time for these commemoration Douglas Coe has… Read More »
On Monday 15th July some SLHS members paid a visit to HALS, Hertfordshire Archives and Local Services and were given a tour of the premises. We saw some very old documents, one even dating from before the Norman Conquest! We were shown how documents and artefacts are kept under strict climate control. The humidity indicator… Read More »
THURSDAY 30 MAY 2019 HAILEY CENTRE 1900-2100 MARION HILLS (HALS): ‘REMARKABLE WOMEN IN HERTFORDSHIRE’S HISTORY’ Members £2; non-members £5. Membership on the night £10 including entry! For further information please contact Theo van de Bilt firstname.lastname@example.org or David Royle email@example.com
The name of Walter Lawrence brings back many memories to people in East Hertfordshire. Indeed from 1907 to 1982 a factory with that name stood at the Stort riverside and on the borders of Sawbridgeworth and Sheering. However, the company was started much earlier. It’s founder, let’s call him Walter 1st, was born 22 February… Read More »
The Sawbridgeworth Local History Society has produced one book, re-reprinted an important classic and was also involved in the reprint of another important local publication. Find out about these below. Or you could go to the link on the right our opening page and perhaps carry on to our book order form. These are the… Read More »
The 1911 census was undertaken in April of that year. It is often referred to as the fertility census, the reason for that being that at the time eugenics had become very popular.
The new owner of 1 Fair Green is interested in finding out about the history of their house. If anyone has any information for them, please would you pass it on. Thank you.
Our recent post about Walter Lawrence on our Facebook page has prompted several responses and new Likes for the page. So many family memories have been shared that it will take a while for them to be collated into an article and we apologise for that. We would like to encourage as many people as… Read More »
To mark the anniversary of World War 2 we are planning an oral history project involving the people of Sawbridgeworth who were living here at that time and who are willing to share their experiences. We would like to interview and possibly film these people for an event on 3rd September at the Hailey Centre.… Read More »
We have another article connected to Great Hyde Hall. There is no evidence that Robert Jocelyn lived at the Hall but he is buried at Great St Mary’s church and there is a bust of him above the pulpit.
We have added a new article to the site about the 1st Earl of Roden, a member of the Jocelyn family who owned Great Hyde Hall. Read the full article here.
This is another article in the series about the owners of Great Hyde Hall by Douglas Coe. Robert Jocelyn died at Great Hyde Hall and was buried at Great St Mary’s church. Read the full article here.
The Sawbridgeworth Local History Society wishes all members, friends and neighbours a very prosperous and peaceful 2019.
The latest article on our website is about the Earl of Arran who lived at Great Hyde Hall for a while. This is a follow-up to a previous article entitled “Hyde Hall/Great Hyde Hall”. Read the full article here.
The latest article on our website is Celebrating Rivers’ Wassail by Elizabeth Waugh. It contains two illustrations and the Rivers’ Wassail song. The Wassail has become an annual event celebrating the fruit trees.